Why name the post and poll differently?
10%
Cheese
20%

Total votes: 10
fluffy

[DONE] All for /d/ and /d/ for all!

Post by fluffy »

Should we make /d/ completely visible to all players? Why or why not?
chernobog

Re: All for /d/ and /d/ for all!

Post by chernobog »

I voted to keep it private, because it's easy to see hidden areas and secrets by going through the files. If an area or item is so hidden that it could only be found by looking at files, fix the area or item to be more intuitive. But I don't want to remove any effort at exploring an area to discover things.
titania

Post by titania »

I don't see any compelling reason for keeping it hidden. If somebody does not wish to know an area's secret they do not need to look. If they do, they'll probably just ask a friend. But if they're inclined to dig through screens of code instead, then that's on them.
uriel

Post by uriel »

Agree with Titania- and would add:

Only by seeing all the code will players be convinced there are only 2 real secrets to SG: good characters and good friends to play with.

The game is just a pile of functions; the magic is from the players, the stories, and shared imaginary setting.
kismet

Post by kismet »

Could someone please explain to the general public what we are actually voting on in terms that are understandable to those that do not know code?

If my assumptions as a newbie coder are correct:

/d/ is a directory that contains quest areas, items and rooms.

It also contains every player-made object, most avatar-made objects and, as far as I can see, temporary av-rooms, as well as player houses.

Making the entire /d/ public means that those that can read code can breeze through quest areas, find the exact weapon/item that they want and see its specials (item proliferation ftw!), leaving those that do not read code in the dust.

It also means that secrets in player houses are no longer secret. It means that anyone (who can read code) can see the files of items you have created. If you are trying to be deceptive about something, this means you may have to think about what you are naming your crafted items.

It seems like av-rooms (temp. rooms an avatar can make to run plots) would also be made public, but I am a little uncertain about that. If so, this is the only sub-directory I would personally argue to keep secret.

This is not a post for or against, but a request for clarification: What are we voting on and how will it affect the players?
fluffy

Post by fluffy »

I chose sure mainly for the same reason as Titiana. If people have fun by looking at spoilers, they will do so however they can. If they have fun being surprised or by earning the old-fashioned way, they won't look. What matters is that people are having fun the way that they want, and they're not ruining the fun of others.

Kismet's post is very important for players to read, and does offer a reason to say no, in my mind: temp-AV rooms, player houses, and anything plot related should be secret. The difference with plots and quests are that plots are unique and dynamic. It's a story being told as it goes along, and all people finding out secrets will do is give the avatars more work in changing things so that everyone is surprised by the various story advancements. Meaning, the avs will keep secrets anyways, so why make it hard for them?

We could, maybe, have a new directory for avstuff, and as long as people code their room exits in there to work with existing rooms, they should still be functional. And then make the rest of /d/ public for those who get stuck in a quest, or who have fun by learning spoilers and not sharing them with people who don't lise spoilers.
kismet

Post by kismet »

Just a quick point: Av-rooms, like av-items, are made with a generator, not coded in the traditional way. Someone would have to look at updating the generator if we were to move the stuff created with it. I haven't used these tools much, but they would probably be essential to avatars who are not also creators.
nienne

Post by nienne »

If there's a concern about specific sections of /d (eg avrooms, player houses) those are all in very specific folders, you could just exclude those folders and make the broad rest of /d available. Certainly for the majority of content in /d I don't see any reason it needs to be hidden, and those who don't want quest spoilers etc just shouldn't look :)

Given GITHUB already only has particular /d folders, I imagine it's also quite doable to just exclude things like /d/avatars and /d/retired and such? Can't remember where avrooms are offhand but I expect it'd be another very specific location.
odin

Post by odin »

I'm voting yes with the following caveat: Hide player houses, player objects, and av rooms.
chernobog

Post by chernobog »

So long as player houses, objects, and av rooms are hidden, you can consider my vote a yes instead
ilmarinen

Re: [DONE] All for /d/ and /d/ for all!

Post by ilmarinen »

No turning back now.