THE LOXODON!

You newer know what might be liked

Moderators: avatar, creator

avharokai

THE LOXODON!

Post by avharokai »

Ladies and gentlemen. And Cyric.

I present the new and bestest race ever.

Loxodon are humanoid elephant people.

Ability Score Increase - Your Constitution + 2, Wisdom + 2, maybed - 2 dex or -2 int?

Age - Loxodons physically mature at the same rate as humans, but they live about 450 years. They highly value the weight of wisdom and experience and are considered young until they reach the age of 60.

Alignment - Most loxodons are lawful, believing in the value of a peaceful, ordered life. They also tend toward good.

Size - Loxodons stand between 7 and 8 feet tall. Their massive bodies weigh between 300 and 400 pounds. Your size is Medium.

Powerful Build - You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.

Speed - Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Loxodon Serenity - You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed or frightened.

Natural Armor - You have thick, leathery skin. When you aren't wearing armor, your AC is 12 +your Constitution modifier. You can use your natural armor to determine your AC if the armor you wear would leave you with a lower AC. A shield's benefits apply as normal while you use your natural armor.

Trunk - You can grasp things with your trunk, and you can use it as a snorkel. lt has a reach of 5 feet, and it can lift a number of pounds equal to five times your Strength score. You can use it to do the following simple tasks: lift, drop, hold, push, or pull an object or a creature; open or close a door or a container; grapple someone; or make an unarmed strike. Your DM might allow other simple tasks to be added to that list of options.

I'm sure at least some of this can be translated to SG.

wedex

Re: THE LOXODON!

Post by wedex »

well thats based in mostly 5e where the balance idea is that most races have this criteria:

• no negtive scores and a total of +3 to stats in the form of +2/+1 on two different stats(i know that there are exceptions, human, half-ef, changeling, avian)

• no race can be large

• no race can have a bonus to AC (there are some exception but this is because of the bonded accuracy)

on the other hand SG stat wise has a total of +2 to ability scores in any combination of even numbers...
So loxodons can be something like:

• +4 con +2 wis -4 dex (or anything like it)

• fearless, +2 to saves vs charm spells

• large size

• +2 nat AC

• +0/2 to athletics, +2/4 to endurance

about the trunk, if you want an extra limb, it requires a bit more coding, if you want an extra wielding limb its a no (because of game balance), but u can go with them having a regular humanoid body and the trunk is fluff

avharokai

Post by avharokai »

A fluffy trunk? Like a wooly mammoth? drum snare

nienne

Post by nienne »

avharokai wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 05:25

Size - Loxodons stand between 7 and 8 feet tall. Their massive bodies weigh between 300 and 400 pounds. Your size is Medium.

...wot?

cedric

Post by cedric »

Aren't Shadowgate enough of a zoo already...why make yet another freaking race no one will play.

ilmarinen

Post by ilmarinen »

cedric wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 12:53

Aren't Shadowgate enough of a zoo already...why make yet another freaking race no one will play.

Well, to be fair, exactly one player will.

Also Deva is talking hides

wedex

Post by wedex »

avharokai wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 09:26

A fluffy trunk? Like a wooly mammoth? drum snare

xD i meant like something just for the description but no mechanical use.

cedric wrote:

well we could add a generic animalfolk race (im not sure if beastkin fits but i dont think so) and add subraces at demand if needed.
something like the mutants from thundercats, then we can fit here catfolk, loxodon, aaracokra, etc

avharokai

Post by avharokai »

cedric wrote:

What's the harm in it? If it gets one person out of the cookie cutter human edgelord class, then all the better for it.

avharokai

Post by avharokai »

nienne wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 12:28
avharokai wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 05:25

...wot?

Bugbears are pretty much the same size as half ogres, yet one is medium, the other large. D&D is all over the place with sizes

chernobog

Post by chernobog »

avharokai wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 00:23

What's the harm in it? If it gets one person out of the cookie cutter human edgelord class, then all the better for it.

I don't see the sole merit on having everyone playing some different snowflake race. Roleplay makes the character, and you can have multiple human fighters that are all unique and amazing, while having a plethora of bizarre race characters that are entirely boring.

That said, I'd rather see these just be another facet of the beastkin race.

wedex

Post by wedex »

chernobog wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 10:43
avharokai wrote:

I don't see the sole merit on having everyone playing some different snowflake race. Roleplay makes the character, and you can have multiple human fighters that are all unique and amazing, while having a plethora of bizarre race characters that are entirely boring.

in his defense, imo, the description of beastkin sounds like a neanderthalish animal worshiping tribe rather than a variety of tribes of beastkin with similar anthropomorphical features related to various animals.
In any case if more customization is required but we dont want to code a subrace to each animal from all the fauna, we can just add generic subraces for mammal, reptile, bird, etc (even fish maybe xD) and the specific is left to roleplay

avharokai

Post by avharokai »

wedex wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 14:21
chernobog wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 10:43
avharokai wrote:

in his defense, imo, the description of beastkin sounds like a neanderthalish animal worshiping tribe rather than a variety of tribes of beastkin with similar anthropomorphical features related to various animals.
In any case if more customization is required but we dont want to code a subrace to each animal from all the fauna, we can just add generic subraces for mammal, reptile, bird, etc (even fish maybe xD) and the specific is left to roleplay

There's an implication here that you can't be a strange race AND be an amazing, unique roleplayer here. The merit of having a vast array of choice is just that. SG isn't the Ford factory pumping out model T's. Having the optional variety might encourage more people to take it up. I have nothing against human fighters or elven mages, but when I see a different race like an ogre-mage or a hobgolin or a centaur, I'm just that little more curious about checking them out.

odin

Post by odin »

Loxodon are probably IP of WOTC.