[IN DRAFT] study monster

Game engine, mechanics, coding

Moderators: avatar, creator

wedex

[IN DRAFT] study monster

Post by wedex »

study monster direction (it wont use the word "study" but for now lets use that word)
can only study monsters up to 1 room away
will use code similar to shoot (lrweapon) to check a creature
the creature will make a perception roll to notice the player and if passed, it will attempt to go attack the player
after studying a creature, you will save an array in a file (i'll need to check inventory or bank storage maybe to implement this mechanic)
the array consists on the creature's file name, a time stamp and X (for now lets say 5) int values.
the int values will start at 0.
the first time you study a creature, the array is set with 0s.
after studying a creature u will make an academics roll vs the creature level * 2 + 3 * position in array (might need asjustment)
if the check fails, the 1st 0 of the array becomes 2, else becomes 3.
the timestamp is updated, you cant try to study that particular creature file again until 30m have passed.
you learn a quality of the creature for each specific 3 in the array.
if the array is already filled, you can turn a 2 into a 3 with a natural 20.
when u look a monster (or inspect or ponder or whatever) it will show its stats compared to yours.
1st value in the array compares hp
2nd value compares total phys stats
3rd value compares total mental stats
4th value shows resistances
5th value shows vulnerabilities

it will use written description to show this results, not numeric values.

additional idea: if a natural 1 is rolled, the value is set to 1 and show an incorrect message.
you could only turn a critic fail (1) into a normal fail(2) with a nat20 and after there are no normal fails in the array.

additional options to show:
compare level
show race
open to suggestions

wedex

Re: [IN DRAFT] study monster

Post by wedex »

trained only except if favored enemy.
wis added to check for insquisitors for the monster lore feature
let me know about another class features related

fluffy

Post by fluffy »

Instead of a bank or inventory (though adding a page to a personal bestiary seems cool enough), why not pcnotes, or a secondary note system that works like PCnotes?

wedex

Post by wedex »

im not very familiar with pcnotes but from what i read seems like a journal
do u mean to add notes to a monster to feel more like an explorer?
something like:
look fatzombie
this is a zombie.

studymon fatzombie
while carefully observing fatzombie you've learned some of this creatures qualities!

studymon addnote fatzombie this creature travels in groups and its natural habitat is the graveyard
you write some notes about FATZOMBIE

studymon check fatzombie
FATZOMBIE
this is a zombie
this creature travels in groups and its natural habitat is the graveyard
this creature is tougher than you.
your physycal ability can match this creature
your mental ability overpowers this creature
this creature is resistant to a,b,c
this creature is vulnerable to x,y,z

fluffy

Post by fluffy »

Yeah, that looks great!

uriel

Post by uriel »

Great idea Wedex! Very nice!

wedex wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 00:03

after studying a creature, you will save an array in a file (i'll need to check inventory or bank storage maybe to implement this mechanic)
the array consists on the creature's file name, a time stamp and X (for now lets say 5) int values.
the int values will start at 0.
the first time you study a creature, the array is set with 0s.

Suggestion here -- limit the size of the array. Like you can study 5 different monsters (i.e. pick a reasonable number). If you study a sixth monster, you forget one you studied before.

If you look at the code for tracking unique kills, there's like 30,000+ different monsters stored in an array (see /daemon/save/player_list.o). Every time a monster is killed, it searches that big ass array to look and see if the player made a unique kill. That is very slow! A small array is probably good for housekeeping.

Good luck, great idea!

wedex

Post by wedex »

uriel wrote: Yesterday, 05:37

Great idea Wedex! Very nice!

Suggestion here -- limit the size of the array. Like you can study 5 different monsters (i.e. pick a reasonable number). If you study a sixth monster, you forget one you studied before.

If you look at the code for tracking unique kills, there's like 30,000+ different monsters stored in an array (see /daemon/save/player_list.o). Every time a monster is killed, it searches that big ass array to look and see if the player made a unique kill. That is very slow! A small array is probably good for housekeeping.

Good luck, great idea!

thank you! about kills... i didnt expected that... like i kind of knew they were a lot so i really needed to use another file to store the info, but not as big as 30k+
ok, lets think a few considerations about it:
the kill list is automatic so that list will definetly be very long, in contrast studymon is an activable command and basically depends on the player to fill the list, so unless the player is an achiever/completionist the list shouldnt be that long, im taking a guess that for a common player from 0 to 50 he might have studied about what? 1k mobs? and by endgame most of those creatures will be below lvl50 so keeping them stored will be pointless, usually a player might want to keep track of bosses and hard mobs.

so that lefts us with 2 options:

1. let the player build his list anyway. i will need some insight about performance on this pls.
  2. keep the list to a fixed number or equal to X*int (probably X=1) and keep the list like remembered locations. in this case maybe another file isnt required and i can save the info directly in the player profile (again, like locations)

my lazy side says lets go for option 2 as it seems faster to code but my nerdy side says lets learn about extra save files but if performance will be an issue i'll have to take opt2. i might end doing both options for playtest...

garrett

Post by garrett »

The kills list is huge. I mean HYUGE.

• I mean we can create a daemon that, for each player, stores if they've studied X. Maybe counts how many times they've studied X, and what their study skill was at the last time they studied X.

We just need to wipe the study daemon from that player's keys on player removal or suicide. (I guess we could wipe it on player creation, but that might leave us with hanging data)

Other thought was, yes, give them XP for studying stuff (successful or not) up to a certain limit, also maybe limit them being able to study the same individual monster multiple times, but that's starting to get even more difficult.

• Why not give them access to their study knowledge after that monster's not near them? Let them tell others! Let them tell others wrong information! :D

• Lores should be stored on the monster files, not stored in PCNote-like arrays. Whoever made PCNote should be banned. ;p (it me)

wedex

Post by wedex »

garrett wrote: Yesterday, 19:37

I mean we can create a daemon that

Sure, we can add more complexity with time.

[*]Why not give them access to their study knowledge after that monster's not near them? Let them tell others! Let them tell others wrong information! :D

Yes the current brainstorm here and discord is to work like remember and recall... should be "study monster monstername" and "recall monster" for your list + "recall monster monstername" for specific data
also as i wrote in the main post, the saved array keeps crit failures, failures and success.
success shows info
failure doesnt show info
crit fail shows wrong info.
rolling a crit success fixes a failures first. if there are no failures it fixes a crit fail into a normal fail, and the next time it doesnt fix the next critF but the new normal fail... so you could have wrong info about the monster. the info about the monster wont be stored in ur array, just the result of ur roll. (if the monster gets updated, your memory will be updated too xD)

Lores should be stored on the monster files, not stored in PCNote-like arrays. Whoever made PCNote should be banned. ;p (it me)

yes, most of the info will come from the file, but fluffy suggeseted to allow notes, think of where you find the monster, what loot it had, if its a boss, etc

nienne

Post by nienne »

Whoever made PCNote should be banned. ;p (it me)

Still one of my fav things <3

ilmarinen

Post by ilmarinen »

nienne wrote: Today, 00:52

Whoever made PCNote should be banned. ;p (it me)

Still one of my fav things <3

To ze bancorner, both of ye, zen.

fluffy

Post by fluffy »

Nienne will just become Liche Queen of the Bancorner and lead a revolution against the non banned people... wait, do they exist?

fluffy

Post by fluffy »

Also a thought, maybe make it work like study or identify or whatever. You see the stuff, but it doesn't save anywhere. Now, if the player wants to save that to a book or something, they can decide to do that. But I think that that will cut down on size? But probably means editing a lot of mons, even if just to direct them to a master sheet... further reason to make that bestiary that I thought of, though of course we would only do description and "beast lore" on the wiki.

fluffy

Post by fluffy »

I don't know too much because I forget all the coding that I learn every month, but I hope that helps with the size issue.

Who made the original study command? If that's Nienne too, she's too OP. Doubeban.