Musings on Bards

Issues, gameplay, direction. Everything game related.

Moderators: avatar, creator

garrett

Musings on Bards

Post by garrett »

So I want to make bards more... bardic, and I need some help on scales and if I'm not going out of my head here. Please feel free to tell me I'm over-reaching or whatnot.

Thoughts on Stories and Songs:
  • Listening to a Story or a Song gives you an inspiration buff for your incoming XP. (+25%?)
  • Bards should get XP for telling stories and songs. (They don't get their own inspiration bonus though...)
Chronicler's "Fated" feat changes their rally.
  • Their rally always buffs defense (in line with the Fated current description), so they can choose whether they boost melee or spell damage as well.
ilmarinen

Re: Musings on Bards

Post by ilmarinen »

I see no reasons to object to either.

Players can start world events with big exp bonuses, so giving each other exp for RP seems even undervalued.
I know bards are dissatisfied with current sotry telling fexibilities, but you'd have to ask players to know details... Try poking Gaspar maybe.

Fated change sounds cool. Even if it is just for themselves, these bonuses are worth a feat.
kismet

Post by kismet »

I love that you're looking at bards! XP for telling stories/songs and XP-bonus for listening to them sounds like a welcomed boon. Many bards spend a lot of time on these things and I support rewarding that. I also like the option of empowering rally in the way you describe. I'd like to see it as an epic feat available to 30+ SC bard, though.

If you want to tie it to chronicler, I suggest keeping Fated the way it is and changing Timeweaver instead for the following reason:

- Fated now appears to give immunity to death effects and spells. I appreciate this.

- Timeweaver adds Timestop and Foresight to your list of spells, but these are now on the base bard spell list.

- Foresight has been changed to provide armor and attack bonuses, as well as protection from death effects. (Does that overlap with Fated and does it stack with similar bard spells such as Dance of a Thousand Cuts and Haste?)

Alternatively, foresight used to be able to save you from death's door by bringing you back to life after a mob typed hit. I think it was changed because it bugged when used simultaneously with a spell that is not available to bards. If that is the case, could we reinstate a similar effect and keep it chronicler only?

As for lore, I remember there being an issue with the editor kicking you out of edit mode after fixing one line, as opposed to allowing you to edit several lines in one go. I'd have to play around with lore to remember exactly where it bugged.

I also think bards would love to be able to echo in their songs to create bands and guest performances, but I am also not sure we want to go there.

Kismet
garrett

Post by garrett »

kismet wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 22:09
I love that you're looking at bards! XP for telling stories/songs and XP-bonus for listening to them sounds like a welcomed boon. Many bards spend a lot of time on these things and I support rewarding that. I also like the option of empowering rally in the way you describe. I'd like to see it as an epic feat available to 30+ SC bard, though.

If you want to tie it to chronicler, I suggest keeping Fated the way it is and changing Timeweaver instead for the following reason:

- Fated now appears to give immunity to death effects and spells. I appreciate this.

- Timeweaver adds Timestop and Foresight to your list of spells, but these are now on the base bard spell list.

- Foresight has been changed to provide armor and attack bonuses, as well as protection from death effects. (Does that overlap with Fated and does it stack with similar bard spells such as Dance of a Thousand Cuts and Haste?)

Alternatively, foresight used to be able to save you from death's door by bringing you back to life after a mob typed hit. I think it was changed because it bugged when used simultaneously with a spell that is not available to bards. If that is the case, could we reinstate a similar effect and keep it chronicler only?

As for lore, I remember there being an issue with the editor kicking you out of edit mode after fixing one line, as opposed to allowing you to edit several lines in one go. I'd have to play around with lore to remember exactly where it bugged.

I also think bards would love to be able to echo in their songs to create bands and guest performances, but I am also not sure we want to go there.

Kismet
Sorry, Lord Mew mentioned that he thought "Fated" was too weak, I was suggesting "Personal Death Ward" + choice of rally bonus.

The other information is helpful, though!
-- Garrett
fluffy

Post by fluffy »

I vote for this 800%

Tied with the current reward command, RP could really be an awesome way of gaining levels. I hate when I have to stop RPing because someone flipped a couple of flags and it's too good an opportunity to not grind.

garrett

Post by garrett »

Fluff:

I'm not sure if bards have been (re)buffed since I made this suggestion, but I need to start digging back into Lore / Story / Song and how to give people listening players a buff.

uriel

Post by uriel »

garrett wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 13:22

Fluff:

I'm not sure if bards have been (re)buffed since I made this suggestion, but I need to start digging back into Lore / Story / Song and how to give people listening players a buff.

Something like this?

Code: Select all

partyname = TP->query_party();
     if (partyname) {
        partylist = "/adm/daemon/party_d"->query_party_members(partyname);
        numparty = (int) sizeof(partylist);
        for (i = 0; i < numparty; i++) {
           friend = partylist[i];
           if (present(friend,ETP)) {
              do_awesome_bonus(friend);
           }
        }
     }
garrett

Post by garrett »

Yeah, something like that might work. Though not wanting for them to start a literal party. Hmm.

-- Garrett

nienne

Post by nienne »

There's a call-out daemon you could use, if you want it on a timer. Chuck whatever bonus on and let it run a remove function in x time. If they're set_property & they log out before the remove, they'll lose them automatically which is fairly tidy. Can't remember what the daemon's called... it was to solve stuff like powder that broke if the powder object was used (gone).

Then no party :)

Tho if you wanted it as a bonus for a certain amount of exp for example, rather than a timer, you might need something more embedded in exp function. Depends what yer looking for :)

uriel

Post by uriel »

N and G, you are both right. The timer is spot on and no this shouldn't form a party (but might start one!) :)

The idea was that the bard's allies that hear song/story recited should get an effect, and nobody else. So if the bard is part of a party and if the party member (ally) is in the room where the story/song is recited, then give them a bonus. The point being that enemies in the same room might otherwise also receive a bonus. That was all I was suggesting :)

Likewise if you wanted a dirge, then maybe it only affects attackers, etc etc.

garrett

Post by garrett »

nienne wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 23:04

There's a call-out daemon you could use, if you want it on a timer. Chuck whatever bonus on and let it run a remove function in x time. If they're set_property & they log out before the remove, they'll lose them automatically which is fairly tidy. Can't remember what the daemon's called... it was to solve stuff like powder that broke if the powder object was used (gone).

Then no party :)

Tho if you wanted it as a bonus for a certain amount of exp for example, rather than a timer, you might need something more embedded in exp function. Depends what yer looking for :)

I have a horrible feeling I made that call_out daemon.

c.c;