Post by nienne » 03 Jul 2019, 05:33

ilmarinen wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 23:28
Spell level adjustments:
  • Splash spell: -2 L
  • Psywarrior spell: -2 L
  • Warlock spell: +1 L
  • Bard spell: +1 L
Just FYI not sure how familiar with warlock functionality some are, but this is going to heavily bork/neuter the class damage output. Warlock spell scaling should be theoretically double (not +1) to be equivalent - as a full output caster class. However that will still also not work as their spells scale each level with shape, not damage. Excluding weapons: L1: blast (single target), L2: chain (multi target), L4: burst (room/all targets). All are d6 default, to d8 with utterdark. The class is not designed at all to scale these spells with hitdice, as their "damage output" comes from hitting more targets (usually +1/5 caster levels). Giving them the standard scaling the other classes now use should effectively turn their pure caster variant into a wet noodle :) Shouldn't do as much to hybrid/melee variant - as they're more likely to rely on AOE & buffs - though it will still put them quite a notch below other hybrid caster options, as their AOEs would only slot in nicely with damage around the x2 mark as well, rather than +1 (then you have L4 and L8 equivalent).

An easy fix to utterdark would just be to make it give +1 or +2 to the hitdice of the base spell, simple fix. The others are maybe not as easy... would probably need different formula if you want them to scale nicely like other classes seem to now. Or redo their damage spell list - either might work if you like!
ilmarinen

Re: Global changelog: discussion

Post by ilmarinen » 03 Jul 2019, 07:15

nienne wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 05:33
ilmarinen wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 23:28
blep
Just FYI [..]
I opted out to branch them after all, although it pains me to have more code after so many problems have been solved by gutting.
Warlock spells get 1d8 die, 1d10 for utterdark, 1d3 for their AOE.
That places them in the middle of the spell spell standard and slightly above than they were before implementing it.

And nuked voices from within.
nienne

Post by nienne » 04 Jul 2019, 00:35

Seems it would work fairly well. Funny thing I found when installing warlocks, they are very abnormal from all the other classes. I guess still being special snowflakes while all the other classes play nice...

Not sure if it is any help to you or no, the 2 AOEs they had are of different levels so might be good for varied damage? Unsure if this will scale nicely with your other AOE system as most other classes have them at nicer levels! Lower one was akin to ice storm (hungry darkness L2) & higher more of earthquake/etc equivalent (nightmares made real L3). From memory I think higher one had extra benefits like higher AOEs too but not sure if this is part of your system or still hard coded into spell. Sorry a bit out of the loop I guess, maybe I'm not as helpful as I'd like :)
ilmarinen

Post by ilmarinen » 04 Jul 2019, 05:38

nienne wrote:
04 Jul 2019, 00:35
Seems it would work fairly well. Funny thing I found when installing warlocks, they are very abnormal from all the other classes. I guess still being special snowflakes while all the other classes play nice...

Not sure if it is any help to you or no, the 2 AOEs they had are of different levels so might be good for varied damage? Unsure if this will scale nicely with your other AOE system as most other classes have them at nicer levels! Lower one was akin to ice storm (hungry darkness L2) & higher more of earthquake/etc equivalent (nightmares made real L3). From memory I think higher one had extra benefits like higher AOEs too but not sure if this is part of your system or still hard coded into spell. Sorry a bit out of the loop I guess, maybe I'm not as helpful as I'd like :)
I made it so it is easy to redefine old spells, so you don't have to rewrite them as there are too many. Spell object has sdamage variable that is defined with define_base_damage(int special_snowflake_level_adjust) method.
In old spells you can just replace damage = roll_dice(x,y) with damage=sdamage, and call define_base_damage(0) if you want a reroll say each round.
So for the case of both AOE I replaced dice roll with sdamage. First one was 1d2, second one was 1d3, infernal one was something else.. Now all three are 1d3, which puts them, as of this post, above AOE from other classes... Caster locks definitely needed a buff, so here it is: slight damage table shift, which still keeps them weaker than normal casters, though.