I blep we trust
6%
I don't care
No votes

Total votes: 16
uriel

[DENIED] Re: L40 cap

Post by uriel » 25 Sep 2019, 03:46

In principle, all content should be accessible! Scarcity of high level characters != valuable RP

There are a lot of arguments for a L40 cap that boil down to "it makes RP better", which is very reasonable. BUT - if the argument is "Everyone has a L50 with a Ragnarok so my character is not unique" that is about social status in the game and it is not really about RP.

Suggestions to make content accessible and still have a L40 Cap --
* God mode, for people who just want to get a sense of the areas. Basically 1 punch man, NoPK, no giving away items, go explore! Back to L1 if you ever turn off God mode.
* Build mode, give your char a crapload of XP try out all those feats and see if you like the play style. Back to L1 if you ever turn off Build mode.
fluffy

Re: L40 cap

Post by fluffy » 25 Sep 2019, 22:55

What about sanctuary spell? Can't attack, steal from, or otherwise harm creatures, but also can't be harmed by mobs. Maybe even make picking things up no possible, if people are worried about it being used to power level and decrease RP availability by doing so.
beshaba

Post by beshaba » 25 Sep 2019, 23:31

uriel wrote:
25 Sep 2019, 03:46
In principle, all content should be accessible! Scarcity of high level characters != valuable RP

There are a lot of arguments for a L40 cap that boil down to "it makes RP better", which is very reasonable. BUT - if the argument is "Everyone has a L50 with a Ragnarok so my character is not unique" that is about social status in the game and it is not really about RP.

Suggestions to make content accessible and still have a L40 Cap --
* God mode, for people who just want to get a sense of the areas. Basically 1 punch man, NoPK, no giving away items, go explore! Back to L1 if you ever turn off God mode.
* Build mode, give your char a crapload of XP try out all those feats and see if you like the play style. Back to L1 if you ever turn off Build mode.
I don't believe the level of the characters has anything to do with the quality of RP. It just requires players to stop to RP, instead of rushing off. The level 40 cap would mainly help with mechanics balancing. There might be some minor benefits to having the pool of players be closer in level to each other, but that isn't one of definite effects lowering the cap would have.

In regards to a god mode, and I mean this question honestly: what is the point of playing the game?

Also, I'd be more of a fan of some kind of "training room" where people could mess around with various feat builds. Having people wander about the game world, with vastly different builds all the time, would possibly hurt any ongoing RP. I've seen it plenty of times just from characters switching classes more than once, the identity gets jumbled and lost. I can only imagine it would be much worse if characters could be completely different at the drop of a hat.
uriel

Post by uriel » 26 Sep 2019, 01:13

beshaba wrote:
25 Sep 2019, 23:31
I don't believe the level of the characters has anything to do with the quality of RP.
Completely agree!
beshaba wrote:
In regards to a god mode, and I mean this question honestly: what is the point of playing the game?
Every player should kill Klauth at least once :) Every player should check out Crystal Tower, Demongate, Lava Tubes at least once because these areas are beautiful and have lovely puzzles that are a joy to figure out.

But seriously not everyone has 8 hours to get through a hard area anymore. Maybe a player is getting stuck with the mechanical difficulty and would like to enjoy the rest of the area. The suggestion is to help players learn the areas, try out the puzzles, and enjoy the beautiful artwork & adventures.

Then, when ready, head back to play hardcore mode with a RP focus, and try to build the teams necessary if these high end areas are going to be designated group-only content.
beshaba wrote:
Also, I'd be more of a fan of some kind of "training room" where people could mess around with various feat builds.
Great! That would work very nicely!
xantheous

Post by xantheous » 04 Nov 2019, 03:46

i voted nay because frankly i feel like thats taking a step backwards. There are areas done for lvl 40-50 and in time im sure more will pop up. To me just because something hasnt been done yet doesnt mean we should go back. To do so would require a whole lot of rebalancing, bug testing etc and for what? all that time wasted could be going into making new areas/content for the game instead of going back.
Also i like the 20 20 10 system we have in place. And the other big reason is not everyone lives in the same timezone and that was the whole reason we started down the solo adventuring path with mercs, bloodstones and etc. Being a lvl 50 means i can explore any area i like without getting into trouble, And boss fights still require a party which is great.
ilmarinen

Post by ilmarinen » 05 Nov 2019, 20:03

Plz stop PMing and vorrying the either way, we failed to reach simple voting consensus, without taking into account provided pro/contra weights, last calcs done today. I'm not going to risk this decision, I rather ban all psywarriors or something, much safer...

No levelcap lowering will happen.

L40 group may blame themselves for failing to convey proper arguments to the second group.