[DONE-ish] Giants and WAY TOO MANY other ideas.

You newer know what might be liked

Moderators: avatar, creator

avharokai

[DONE-ish] Giants and WAY TOO MANY other ideas.

Post by avharokai » 07 Jan 2020, 02:31

Hi.

Please bear with me whilst I unload the intolerable amount of inane ideas in my head.

Giants and Half-giant races.
Whilst I admit pure giants are probably way too op to be player characters, I think it'd be great to see half-giants (frost, fire, storm, hill) added as HM only races. Fire and frost giants are already all over the place in the game. Also, I think Firbolg might need some kind of review. It has a +2 str - 2 dex mod, but when you compare it to say.. a wood elf's +2str and +2 dex, it kind of falls out of 'giant' territory.

SEA NAVIGATION!
The ability to recall locations you've visited could be applied for boat sailing too. If you can 'recall location 0,55' for example to sail your boat automatically for you. If not auto-navigation, perhaps the ability to sail multiple rooms at once, like you can ride a horse.

Titans grip modification.
As it stands, Titans grip lets a medium or small character wield a giant or large weapon they normally couldn't, provided they have the str reqs. I would like an extra function considered. For those who have a dex build, but want to use a larger weapon, perhaps let it use their dexterity to wield a weapon considered large for them. I.E A human wielding a two handed sword with Titans grip can use their dex bonus to hit. It would open up a lot of options for characters. (Two handed katana ninjas much?)

Thanks for reading my stuff

ilmarinen

Re: Giants and WAY TOO MANY other ideas.

Post by ilmarinen » 21 Feb 2020, 13:08

Think giants are too big to be playable... Maybe half-giants if you find some info in srds, should be easy to make.

Sea nav is in catplan.

Titan's grip modified for 19 str or 19 dex.
anuja

Post by anuja » 21 Feb 2020, 17:34

How will titans grip help with a 2h dex build if weapon finesse requires the weapon to be of your size or smaller?
gaius

Post by gaius » 21 Feb 2020, 17:52

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-ru ... alf-giant/

They are essentially the same as 3.5's half giants, and both were printed as common psionic races.

Powerful build in TT is hilariously over powered, so be wary if you think to transition then over to the mud.
kismet

Post by kismet » 22 Feb 2020, 09:28

If we are going to let dex-builds use two-handed weapons I suggest we add an additional feat that you have to take, like an improved weapon finesse feat, and keep titans grip as is with this recent change (19 str or dex). I'd rather keep two-handed weapons reserved for str personally, but this way it at least costs you something extra to use the same stat for AC and hit/dmg.

I like the half-giant ideas and agree firbolg could use some looking at.
fluffy

Post by fluffy » 22 Feb 2020, 16:10

High dex for wielding big weapons doesn't make sebse to me, but I don't care enough to fight it. It makes people happy, so good.

What doesn't make people happy is half-giants. Not because they are cool, but... People very rarely play large characters. I don't know if we have enough other people who'd play to justify it. Of course, that's assuming that we really need more than one person who like a race to install it. Maybe they don't need a popularity poll. I'm just putting these thoughts here, in case they are relevant. If they end up not being relevant, oh well.

I'm not against half-giants, to be clear. I do play a large character, when I play. More players to hang out with in Lothewaite would also be cool.
anuja

Post by anuja » 22 Feb 2020, 16:43

I agree that dex based 2h weapon makes no sense. Dex is already a superior stat to Str in most ways, Being able to use 2h weapons with dex removes one of the already few reasons to choose Strength over Dex.
gaius

Post by gaius » 22 Feb 2020, 19:58

I've said many times before that Dex is an insanely powerful stat - eclipsing most of the others. So, it should come as little surprise that, I too, do not support 2H Dex builds.
tlaloc

Post by tlaloc » 22 Feb 2020, 20:13

If anything, we should be going the other direction with this, towards STR being better.
nienne

Post by nienne » 24 Feb 2020, 01:47

+1 to preference of dex not becoming even more of a multi-stat. IMO str should remain for builds where you really just need to beat things with brute force.
ergo

Post by ergo » 24 Feb 2020, 06:01

If you are truly desperate to play a dex based 2handed build, warlock glaive can be finessed.
avharokai

Post by avharokai » 24 Feb 2020, 08:38

My whole point with the dex based two handed system was for things that are 'lighter' weapons that are traditionally wielded with more dexterity than strength, like spears, katana, etc. But if it's problematic..
gaius

Post by gaius » 24 Feb 2020, 13:32

While I understand the logic behind it, there is a reason the TT systems didn't include the options themselves - Dex offers hit, damage, AC, reflex saves, and is the base stat for many very important skills. Strength offers hit and damage, and you might be able to make a small case for carrying capacity, but it's pretty negligible and highly subject to diminishing returns.

Unfortunately, I just don't see real world logic applying to in game effects. Especially given how overwhelmingly powerful one stat is over another already, and just how easy it would be to abuse the system further (which is already pretty abusable).
kismet

Post by kismet » 24 Feb 2020, 15:35

Based on reactions, I hereby withdraw my suggestion.

I could see normal sized katanas wielded in two hands using dex and two-handed fighting style, for flavor. It's just the larger sized weapons that I think should be reserved for strength.

That said, a strength based character with a decent dex seems almost as viable as a dex-based build if you really wanted to do the super-sized two-handed ninja style, at least at high levels :)
ilmarinen

Re: [WIP] Giants and WAY TOO MANY other ideas.

Post by ilmarinen » 12 May 2020, 15:47

Words. Marking as done.