Why elves can't be monks?

Issues, gameplay, direction. Everything game related.

Moderators: overseer, arch, elder, creator, avatar

ilmarinen

Why elves can't be monks?

Post by ilmarinen » 02 Mar 2020, 12:54

SUBJ? Mew didn't find any connection, pf crpg plainly allows monkelves.
nienne

Re: Why elves can't be monks?

Post by nienne » 02 Mar 2020, 23:21

I think with most of these recent "can race be class" queries, we probably just need to decide if we are still D&D lore-based primarily, or heading towards PF (which is far less restricted). Many of these queries only stem from one system's storytelling differing to the other.

I do understand a lot of code-base is now going to the way of PF, but game lore is a different animal. We are still using Faerunian lore, races, etc.

Someone can simply decide which one we are with and base it on that :)

As a side note for this particular case, even if we do remain with FR I don't think it should prevent a request character - no reason an elf couldn't join a monastic order somewhere. Just that elves don't tend to run these things themselves so elf-monks are not common.
ilmarinen

Post by ilmarinen » 02 Mar 2020, 23:33

Em, Cookie-Lichy, I really mean 'Why' by "why", not "why the florb, I want to shadowmonk NOW"

I vaguely remember FR monks being psionic in nature.

But then it vaped from the lore.

Monastic order is not really a requirement too, cause wandering monks and such. Unless it is our thematic restriction. Which I can't find anywhere.

So, why?..
fluffy

Post by fluffy » 03 Mar 2020, 03:57

The question seems to be "Why not?" The answer is "Earlier ed. says no because monk is human only class". But that changed, so why not allow it? I think the more original lore SG has, the better. And there's no clear lore reason for an elf not to be a monk.
uriel

Post by uriel » 03 Mar 2020, 04:26

Elven arrogance. Monking is about introspection and self improvement, and monasteries are the religious and philosophical centers for such activities. Why would elves sit around contemplating their own shortcomings when they already consider themselves perfect beings?

Indeed elves already spend lots of time sitting around in trees contemplating their own elegance and awesomeness :lol: Self-improvement projects are for humans :D Elves have their own philosophies why dirty themselves to learning what humans think at a monstary? :D There's no reason not play an elf monk, it just that elves don't typically do that in the FR setting.
chernobog

Post by chernobog » 03 Mar 2020, 05:07

I think it's harder to say elves wouldn't adhere to a lifestyle of austerity and philosophy. We've put psionics out of their wheelhouse due to genetics, but monks are a lifestyle, and one that seems pretty well suited to a long lived race who might contemplate the mysteries of the world and how they might fit into the cosmic balance. Their philosophies might be vastly different from a humans, but that seems like an rp opportunity to me.

I will point out that I hate elves on a gut level, and want nothing but pain for the race in general. But this feels like an appropriate vocation for them from an sg standpoint, and disregarding how d&d or pathfinder it. Taking their rulesets is good in that we can more easily balance things, but the lore should be tailored to fit what we've got here in sg first. We've branched away from FR in enough ways that we shouldn't let it dictate by blind rule.
uriel

Post by uriel » 04 Mar 2020, 04:56

chernobog wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 05:07
Taking their rulesets is good in that we can more easily balance things, but the lore should be tailored to fit what we've got here in sg first.
Elves have very prescribed RP on SG -- for example, see help elf rp -- and lots of (frequently heated) discussion of what constitutes "correct" elf RP on SG over the years. In our setting elves do not choose to become monks because that is not a lifestyle they choose.

I'm perfectly happy to see all that get burned down and start a new mythology and ideas about who elves are and what they do.
chernobog

Post by chernobog » 04 Mar 2020, 14:05

I don't actually see anything in the elf and elf rp files that would indicate a restriction for elves from becoming monks. The closest is a general gravitation towards chaotic good alignment, but that certainly doesn't seem like enough. If there's some lore in game that's escaping me, please let me know.
ashra

Post by ashra » 04 Mar 2020, 22:16

Limitations make things more interesting.

Don’t slide too far towards homogenization.
nienne

Post by nienne » 05 Mar 2020, 23:58

ashra wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 22:16
Limitations make things more interesting.

Don’t slide too far towards homogenization.
Very important point :)
ilmarinen

Post by ilmarinen » 06 Mar 2020, 00:51

I confiscate cookies of everyone who answered "Why won't we allow elves to be monks" instead of "What was the rationale behind this lore decision" and everyone who remotely assumed that was the topic, even after clarification, namely but not limited to: Fluffy, Ashra, Nienne.

Cookies in question will be donated towards the effort to bring sanity into ShadowGate.
fluffy

Post by fluffy » 06 Mar 2020, 01:29

I covered the rationale! Earlier editions say monk is human only, and that's basically it.

My coooookiiiiieees!
nienne

Post by nienne » 07 Mar 2020, 06:32

/me waits for cat to get the randomly generated spinach cookies...
ilmarinen

Post by ilmarinen » 30 Mar 2020, 10:46

nienne wrote:
07 Mar 2020, 06:32
What's wrong with spinach cookies?
nienne

Post by nienne » 30 Mar 2020, 22:21

ilmarinen wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 10:46
nienne wrote:
07 Mar 2020, 06:32
What's wrong with spinach cookies?
Cats are so weird...