Call for Comments: Player Housing Costs/Standards

You newer know what might be liked

Moderators: overseer, arch, elder, creator, avatar

odin

Call for Comments: Player Housing Costs/Standards

Post by odin » 26 Mar 2020, 22:30

Everyone who's interested, please take some time to look at this google doc. Make any comments about what we've cooked up here in the forums.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Fb- ... sp=sharing
fluffy

Re: Call for Comments: Player Housing Costs/Standards

Post by fluffy » 26 Mar 2020, 23:26

So, for upgrading churces and temples, we'd use the existing structures rules, in addition to room costs? Or will that be a mostly seperate system?

Also, any restrictions on characters? Such as, time played, plots joined, something of that sort? Because I can see muself making a character, buying a small house, and then completely forgetting...

Also, the old house setup included mobs that you could pay for, like guards or bulters, etc. Can we work on the prices for those? Or are we doing away with personal housecarls - I mean, house mobs?
odin

Post by odin » 26 Mar 2020, 23:35

We hadn't even begun to discuss house mobs.
odin

Post by odin » 26 Mar 2020, 23:42

Also, we haven't talked if this would apply to temples, but I'm assuming so. Temples should be far cheaper in the long run as you're not likely to have many/any magic protections.
kismet

Post by kismet » 27 Mar 2020, 00:11

I would like to see houses restricted by play time and/or plot-rewards, but we haven't discussed a system for it.
fluffy

Post by fluffy » 27 Mar 2020, 03:38

Temples should probably be paid for via donations, instead of individual purchases. Though, I guess that they could simply donate the money and put in for a new feature... boards for temples seem like a good idea.
chernobog

Post by chernobog » 27 Mar 2020, 13:52

I agree with kismet regarding play time and plots. Especially if we're talking about temples, they should definitely hold a high position within the faith.

Also, that was the idea of the donation boxes within the temples. Faithful could all throw into a common fund, and then the high priest could use those funds for projects. I'm not sure if the boxes carried over to these new temples, I never really bother with faith.
odin

Post by odin » 27 Mar 2020, 13:57

The boxes are still there and still work, so those funds could be used for upgrading temples with the above guidelines.
uriel

Post by uriel » 27 Mar 2020, 22:48

odin wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 13:57
The boxes are still there and still work, so those funds could be used for upgrading temples with the above guidelines.
Temple donations need a bit of a revamp. I remember some problems with tracking donations to individual temples before... I think temple funds are tracked in /daemon/save/templefunds.o. However, I don't remember how this is queried exactly.

If there's plans to give players like high priest(ess) positions, I would suggest to make these temporary time-limited positions. For example, a high priest(ess) might be a 1-month IRL designation with an option of renewing if the player is still actively involved in plots. That way if someone gets tangled up with IRL some other player has an opportunity to jump into the role.

One concept I really like, and want to suggest is donation of gold for XP. For example a thief gets 7 xp per 1 gold laundered. Just for the sake of argument, I would suggest an exchange rate of 3 xp per 1 gold donated to a temple. This makes gold more directly valuable in a way players appreciate.

Anyways, just some thoughts -- Enjoy!!
fluffy

Post by fluffy » 28 Mar 2020, 18:57

I love your suggestion on high priest/ess positions, and also hope that we can make it work. I also think I like the xp system. Playing a thief has always been the easiest way to level up in the beginning, for me. I've felt lacking when I tried other builds. This would help, but also, I often use religion as a driving factor for my characters because fulfilling their church's goals connects them to other people. Both IC explanations for donating so much gold and the high priest/ess position can build a fertile bed for player and avatar plots alike.