Dread Necromancer Class and some corpsecrafting feats

You newer know what might be liked

Moderators: avatar, creator

elchato

Dread Necromancer Class and some corpsecrafting feats

Post by elchato »

Dread Necromancer: (Adapted for Shadowgate from pfsrd Necromancer recommended by Ilmarien, wich is based on srd Dread Necromancer)
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-pa ... cromancer/
http://srd.dndtools.org/srd/classes/bas ... ancer.html

Stat requirements: 16 charisma
Alignments allowed: non-good
Hitdice: d8
Saving throws: will strong, fort/reflex weak
Class Skills: spellcraft
Class Feats:
L1: light armor proficiency, simple weapon proficiency, shield proficiency, channel
L6: Undead Prototype
L12: Bolster undead
L18: Undead Mastery
Also: one bonus corspsecrafter feat at L1, and every five class levels thereafter
The goddess of death gives power over her dominion as freely as Life brings hers into the world. Wizards and clerics, in particular, master the art of necromancy through the lens of their studies and their faith. Even druids, whose purpose is to maintain balance in the world, have necrolytes they rely on when it comes to communing with Death and her reapers. But what of those who draw their power directly from the goddess? Who do not merely worship her, but allow her will and her power to suffuse their very beings? These are the true necromancers, the dread followers of Death who carefully walk the line between the mortal concept of living and dead. They see beyond both into the churning heart of reality with the power to breed life and snuff it out in the blink of an eye.
Necromancers are neither the poor fools who must conjure an army of undead to hide behind for safety, nor the pious believers who plea for their goddess to give them a lick of her boot. A true necromancer stands ready for his enemy, necrotic power playing at his fingertips. When his foe draws too close, or carelessly leaves himself open to his power, he reacts. With a touch, it falls to madness, despair, or dust, and the necromancer moves on, uncaring, to his next victim.

Spellcasting as Sorcerer/Oracle
Spell ist: from srd like cause wounds (al levels + harm), undead summoning i-ix, some target buffs, some utility spells, some fear and necromancy mostly. if its a very short list they might knw all the list or else master like sorc/ora + Necromantic Study (like domain/mystery/bloodline maybe)

New Feats
Name: Undead Prototype
Type: Permanent
Category: Corpsecrafter
Requirement: Dread Necromancer 6

You gain an undead prototype that can be equipped with regular gear. Each undead you raise or create with any necromancy spell will be equipped with this gear.
Shapeshift: This feat won't deactivate in shapeshifted form.

Name: Bolster Undead
Requirement: Dread Necromancer 12

Spells you cast in your undead prototype will affect each undead you raise or create with any necromancy spell.

Name: Undead Mastery
Requirement: Dread Necromancer 18

Necromancy spells you cast to raise or create undead have +4 Caster Level (or +chaMod/2 Caster level or increased poolsize chaMod * 1/2/3 based on overal balance)

Name: Corpsecrafter

Each undead you raise or create with any necromancy spell gains a +2 enhancement bonus to Strength and the Toughness Feat

Name: Nimble Bones
Requirement: Corpsecrafter, Spellcaster 10

Each undead you raise or create with any necromancy spell gains a +2 enhancement bonus to Dexterity and the Evasion Feat

Name: Hardened Flesh

Each undead you raise or create with any necromancy spell gains a +2 enhancement bonus to Constitution and the Stalwart Feat

Name: Drained Blood
Requirement: Corpsecrafter

Each undead you raise or create with any necromancy spell gains a +1 enhancement bonus to Saves and the Improved Toughness Feat

Name: Layered Tissue

Each undead you raise or create with any necromancy spell gains a +2 enhancement bonus to AC and the Resistance Feat

Name: Complex Arm
Requirement: Corpsecrafter, Spellcaster 5

Each undead you raise or create with any necromancy spell gains a +15 HP and the Exotic Weapon Proficiency Feat

Name: Additional Eye

Each undead you raise or create with any necromancy spell gains a +15 HP and the Point Blank Shot Feat

Name: Skeletal Horse
Requirement: Corpsecrafter, Spellcaster 15

Each undead you raise or create with any necromancy spell gains a +15 HP and Mounted Combat Feat.
You now consume two corpses per minion but it will be mounted in a Skeletal Horse

Name: Hatred for Living

Each undead you raise or create with any necromancy spell gains a +15 HP and Lethal Strikes Feat.

hades

Re: Dread Necromancer Class and some corpsecrafting feats

Post by hades »

Just speaking for myself, but I really dislike pet builds.

Feats already in existence to that give minions the ability to soak 1000s of damage then adding on top of that it just doesn't sit well with me.

chernobog

Post by chernobog »

I feel like there's too much potential here for abuse, like all your skeletons having uber dragon gear. Also, being able to create your own army of super soldiers seems to take agency away from the actual players.

uriel

Post by uriel »

elchato wrote: ↑
28 Jul 2020, 21:42

Hitdice: d8

L1: light armor proficiency

Spellcasting as Sorcerer/Oracle

Why a d8 hit dice with light armor proficiency? That looks OP if it is supposed to be a special type of sorcerer.

By the way, we already have a necromancer. That is a mage with school(necromancy) specialization. So what is the added value here?

ashra

Dread Necromancer

Post by ashra »

My big beef is not that it seems overpowered....it really isn't.......it's more that this niche is already taken with the Mage/Cleric - Gravecaller. And I would say that a a Cleric/Gravecaller would far outshine this class in what it does, namely having really tough minions. Clerics and Mages also would have a ton more spells. There would be little to no reason to pick a class like this over a mage/cleric/gravecaller.

Consider the sheer number of minions that can be brought to the table, with animate spells, greater summons, and monster summoning. Then couple that with AOE healing and the hardenedminions feat. It's kind of hard to top the minion situation we already have.

I could see doing something like this if the theme was something different than we already have, but like someone said, we have necromancy-school mages and gravecallers (and pale lords).

elchato

Post by elchato »

the idea was to have a necromancer base class and on top of it, gravecaller. also the profs and hd are based in the existing sources (srd/pfsrd)

well, as the class idea is dismissed, im gonna focus on the feats:
all items selected are base non magical (except for the last feat that allows a single accessory). you need it in inventory and is consumed on feat activation. the base item might have a magic bonus based on caster level (as usual every 12 levels)

Name: Corpsecrafter

Each undead you raise or create with any necromancy spell gains a +1 bonus to Strength and the Toughness Feat. Additionally, you can activate this feat to choose a shield or light weapon to be equipped in your undead’s offhand.
Use <Limbs Undead> to show undead used body slots with Corpsecrafter feats.

Name: Callus Bones

Each undead you raise or create with any necromancy spell gains a +1 bonus to Dexterity and the Dodge Feat. Additionally, you can activate this feat to choose a light armor to be equipped in your undead’s torso.

Name: Drained Marrow
Category: Corpsecrafter, Callus bones

Each undead you raise or create with any necromancy spell gains a +1 bonus to Strength and the Improved Toughness Feat. Additionally, you can activate this feat to choose a medium armor to be equipped in your undead.

Name: Hardened Flesh
Category: Corpsecrafter, Callus Bones, Layered Marrow

Each undead you raise or create with any necromancy spell gains a +1 bonus to Strength and the Stalwart Feat. Additionally, you can activate this feat to choose a heavy armor to be equipped in your undead’s torso.

Name: Nimble Bones
Requirement: Corpsecrafter, Callus Bones, Spellcaster 10

Each undead you raise or create with any necromancy spell gains a +1 bonus to Dexterity and the Evasion Feat. Additionally, you can activate this feat to choose a headgear (of the same category as the bodyarmor) to be equipped in your undead’s head.

Name: Coagulated Blood

Each undead you raise or create with any necromancy spell gains a +1 bonus to Dexterity and the Resistance Feat. Additionally, you can activate this feat to choose leggear (of the same category as the bodyarmor) to be equipped in your undead’s legs.

Name: Veteran Soul

Each undead you raise or create with any necromancy spell gains a +1 bonus to Strength and the Weapon Focus Feat. Additionally, you can activate this feat to choose a simple or martial melee weapon to be equipped in your undead’s hand/s.

Name: Complex Arm
Requirement: Corpsecrafter, Veteran Soul, Spellcaster 5

Each undead you raise or create with any necromancy spell gains a +1 bonus to Strength and the Exotic Weapon Proficiency Feat. Additionally, you can activate this feat to choose any melee weapon to be equipped in your undead’s hand/s.

Name: Additional Eye

Each undead you raise or create with any necromancy spell gains a +1 bonus to Dexterity and the Point Blank Shot Feat. Additionally, you can activate this feat to choose a simple or martial (or any of you have Complex Arm) ranged weapon to be equipped in your undead’s hand/s with a Limitless Quiver.

Name: Skeletal Horse
Requirement: Corpsecrafter, Spellcaster 15

Each undead you raise or create with any necromancy spell gains a +1 bonus to Strength and the Mounted Combat Feat. Additionally, you can activate this feat to consume one additional corpse for your undead to be mounted in a Skeletal Horse.

Name: Hatred for Living
Requirement: 5 Corpsecrafter feats, Spellcaster 15

Each undead you raise or create with any necromancy spell gains a +1 bonus to Strength and the Lethal Strikes Feat. Additionally, you can activate this feat to choose any magic accessory to be equipped in your undead’s in a single free slot.

fluffy

Post by fluffy »

I don't think a single one of those will be approved. I think you should play a necromancer wizard and play a gravecaller and see if that's satisfying for you.

I don't think saving equipment on undead will ever happen. What we can maybe do is, for any greaters summon-like undead minion, you can command it to describe and adjective, so you can make it look however you like, crafting its appearance and reshaping it. The fact that you can gear your undead is bad enough - with secret chest and some grinding, you could keep a set of powerful gear and dress them up. There are many ways in which this could be a pain for the caster, as single-person teleports won't work, and recasting would drop the equipment. But these are still small annoyances in exchange for the power that you get. I wouldn't be surprised if undead got nerfed, instead. As much as I love summoned pets, they are pretty powerful, and are often the only things keeping my character alive in most fights.

Again, I think you should try a dedicated and specialized necromancer wizard gravecaller. When you have more power over undead than almost anyone, a healing shroud for you minions, and the ability to just keep recasting, that's a pretty powerful necromancer build.

elchato

Post by elchato »

is it still too strong even if the gear is mundane only?

fluffy

Post by fluffy »

Don't they start with mundane gear? What I think is that maybe you can ask for skeletal archers as an option for animate dead or a larger level spell. I don't know if that's unbalancd or not, but it seems a lot more reasonable. Perhaps change one of those gravecaller feats so that it lets you choose the type of fighting gear for animate dead spells.

ashra

Post by ashra »

I think the issue here is that minions are already overpowered, so these would have to be no more powerful than regular monster summoning minions. Once you back it down like that, then a necromancy mage or a cleric is just better out of the gate. And remember, the mage can also summon monsters and greater summons on top of the animated dead. They can also use all of the other spells that mages have access to.

Like I said, someone had an arachnomancer idea, and that is more viable, because there isn't any other spider-themed class. There are many ways to build a very strong necromancer in this game already. I personally have a high level Cleric/Gravecaller that is extremely strong. It would beat this class any day of the weak, simply because my minions are constantly getting healed with lifeless shroud and aura of healing. PLUS I can use spells like undead is death and mass heal against enemy undead.

So that brings up the last point. If you lock someone solely into the necromancy school of magic, they will have a very tough time in the game, since a majority of the enemies you face are undead. And having a large reliance on minions really makes you very weak against bosses, many of which eat minions.

I can tell you are really into this class, and have a love for it. The thing is, you can already make this class in a multiple of ways in the game. Sorcerer, Mage, Oracle or Cleric can be turned into a powerful necromancer, while still retaining all of the utility those classes provide.

hades

Post by hades »

There is a random gear daemon if someone wanted to make a feat/spell that gives them a little bit better gear.

ilmarinen

Post by ilmarinen »

They already have very powerul enchanted gear...